Wednesday, November 23, 2005


1) Here's what I ate today: Galatians 3:9: "So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer." Wow. Think on that! Think of it this way: What do you think made George Bush Sr. prouder - when he became president or when his son became president? What did he want more - to be elected to a second term or his son to be elected to a second term?

One of the great longings of being a parent is that your kid gets blessed. Gets the best. You don't like to see your child suffer. So, when God blessed Abraham with the father of all those children that were as the number of stars in the sky, wasn't part of the promise that God gave Abraham was that He would bless them too, even as He blessed Abraham? And we, fellow-heirs by faith, as Galatians says, are blessed along with Abraham. So, when we stand in glory we will receive with Abraham the blessing given to all those who believe. Think of this: "Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him. (I Cor 2:9)"!

2) Today, my little boy (age 9) and I were talking in the car. He was asking about college and career type stuff. I was telling him that he could become a scientist and be a bear expert if he wanted, because he knows a lot about bears and has a strong interest in that. Then I told him that he didn't have to do that, he could do whatever he wanted. Then I added, or whatever God would have him to do. Know what he said? "In my prayers I just say, 'use me however You want,' cause then you get what you really want." And I jumped in about how God knows what you really want, what the secrets are in your heart that you don't even know. And then we both jumped in about how when God leads us into what we are supposed to do then it is successful. Brandon said, "Yeah, I don't say, like, 'make me a baseball player,' I just say, 'use me however You want to.' " Wow. Awesome. I told him that I thought God would use use for great things and then I added, "He already is."

3) I called the Kentucky social worker for Matt today, and said that the home study report was being faxed to them today. They said that they would be looking out for it. Then there was a pause on the phone and she said in a way that suggested that she had a smile on her face, "he hasn't been chosen to go to any home yet," (meaning that he was still available). She let me know that what happens next is that if they pick our home, then they "refer" him to us and send his background information and other (more paperwork!) information to our social worker out here in California. Then our social worker contacts us and if we accept Matt, then there is a conference. I said, "There is no way that this could happen by Christmas, right?" She began to repeat, "there is no way that this could happen by Christma.....s - well, I don't want to say there is no way - it depends on so much - how the conference goes...." So, what I saw was

A GLIMMER OF HOPE that it could happen by Christmas.

I'm getting myself too fixated on Christmas. Such has been my life. All the great things God has done for me, and I had always thought it was because I begged and manipulated Him into it. Now, I have matured to realize that, no, God is not manipulated by little 'ol me. He is dancing with me, engaging with me, smiling with me, playing with me.

"Experiencing God" book by Blackaby said that it goes like this sometimes. Like when Mr. Blackaby bought his kid a bike for Christmas and had it hid in the garage. The Dad (Mr. Blackaby) had to get his kid to want the bike for Christmas, so he could give to him the gift that he knew would be great for him. So, the Dad encouraged his son to want a bike for Christmas. "Wouldn't a bike be great?"

Don't you think God does that with us sometimes? "Wouldn't it be great to get Matt by Christmas?" Then I say, "Oh Lord, help Matt to be here by Christmas!" And maybe I will be able to say one day, "Thank You God for hearing our prayer!"

Oh, the presents our Father has waiting in the garage! What else is in there? I don't want to miss out!

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 6:57 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Curious Servant said...

I love that conversation with your son. What a great kid!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Wow, what wisdom for such a young boy. Isn't God amazing? We are His workmanship, His masterpiece.

I can't wait to hear the outcome of this story!

Take care and have a blessed Thanksgiving!

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home