Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Who is my king?


This past week has been revealing in several ways, but I want to comment on my king.

As you know, Christ is my King. However, I put my husband there instead, so easily. So easily and quickly I place him up there on Jesus' throne, without me even realizing it sometimes.

We were going to church on Sunday and my husband said something that hurt. And while I was worshipping and singing at church, I thought about how I was going to worship God then, and how I couldn't rely upon my husband and whether or not and how he believed God. And there as I was singing, it was like I realized that I - again -so was sitting upon my husband's coat tails and had left my first love. (Wow, sounds harsh.)

So quickly I want to prop him up and depend upon my husband instead. How I want him to be everything for me! All I need! How I want to need him and have him be perfect and dependable and a hero for me. How quickly I want to worship him, rather than God.

On the other hand, there are ways that I do not want to respect my husband. Not just here and there do I not respect him, but pervasively. I don't respect his position in the home. I don't honor his preferences. I don't conform my ways to better meet his needs. I don't look out for his feelings, his interests. I don't acknowledge the fact that he does not enjoy life at the same pace as I, that he does not have the same motivations as I and he does not have the same leanings that I do. I don't let him be the man that God made him to me. I want to change him into my own image and this is grossly disrespectful. I am sorry for this analogy, but it is kind of like the employee getting hired and then telling the employer how he needs to change everything, and that she is not going to do it like he likes. Hey, I didn't design marriage, but God sure did. God made it just the way that it pleased Him. Either get with the program, or move out of the way.

God wants me to be a godly wife and to respect my husband in an honorable and God-pleasing way.

God does not want me to depend upon my husband for a substitute for worship.

How is it that I can do one so easily and the other so grudgingly?

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 8:01 PM

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had this eye-opening moment before too. Isn't it great how God graces us with the capacity to come to these conclusions?

Karen

3:01 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

God Bless you for the deep introspection...that's very difficult to do. If you haven't already read it, I recommend reading Stormie Ormartians book, The Praying Wife. I'm praying for you as you continue to grow in the Lord.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!!! you have started me thinking. I am going to go and give my husband an enormous hug.

1:00 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

God is so faithful and awesome.
Just continue to trust Him =)

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man oh man... what an eye opener. I was married back in Nov of 2005 and this really hit home for me. Thank you!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

wonderful post. i used to pray often that God would help me keep my husband in his proper place--that i wouldn't cling so to him that it messed up God's position in my life. my hubby has been a huge blessing and i thank God for him constantly, but like you said, i want to worship (and love) God and just love my husband. i also want to learn how to love him better.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Ileana said...

A post I can relate to. Great job on this one! I was meant to visit here today because it has been a long time since I've had a breather and your message brought enlightement to my situation these last couple of days. I've been unsettled, and I realize seeking God and getting closer to Him will ultimately bring the peace I so desperately seek. But He comes first. You're so right!

E-mail me any time!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Godwyn Lim said...

Dear Andrea,

Thank you for stopping by! Your words move my heart as I strive for endurance with our Lord, Christ Jesus!

I'm so bless with people around me like you when I'm down but not alone:-)

May the Lord shine His face on you always!

1:25 AM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

awesome post! I too have been there and done that.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Karuna said...

So well stated, I've been and keep going through this some times, somehow mostly on sundays..wonder why...but our God does, He knows we couldn't be taught in any other class, this was the session He chose for me, so am at it...

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

So good to hear that you allow yourself to be challenged by God in these areas of your life...I don't know why one is hard and the othe is easy...maybe a case of spiritaul vs natural...or fallen vs redeemed

10:58 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Wow, what an interesting perspective. I probably rely on my hubby too little. I need to work on the respect aspect. Loved this insight.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

I agree with Audrey. God bless you, girl. Seems like He already is and has! :-)

God's Grace.

8:26 AM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Love the feedback! I thought after I wrote that, that it would be hard for people to understand what it is that I was talking about. I was describing a spiritual thing that happened to me, and I am glad that it also affected others. May God continue to work in us all! Welcome new visitors, old friends and Annonymous - come back again!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home