Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Introductory session in "MY EATING AND MY BODY": Definition and Elaboration of sometimes useful, but sometimes "not considered acceptable" terms


I will pause to officially alter my interests under my profile to include various diet terms, since it is obviously so much a part of my beloved life. Kind of like a friend that never goes away. But someday will. Reminds me of the neighbor boy who spends so much time at our house, that when I was buying "LUNCHABLES" at the store today, I almost counted him in the count, and he wasn't even there yet, since it was 6 AM!

A verse for today about real beauty.
"The Lord their God will save them on that day as the flock of his people.
They will sparkle in his land like jewels in a crown.
How attractive and beautiful they will be!" Zechariah 9:116-17 NIV

And a verse about Who is our Restorer.
"I will restore them." Zech 10:6 NIV

"Dear Triune God, Holy Redeemer of Israel and me,
Grant me wisdom that I may know how to walk in this life. That I may know how to think and view things. That I may step purposefully, for Your ways are always with purpose."

First question: Is "triune" a word? I don't see it in my dictionary. Help me out. Okay. That is a good way to start. Humble. You see, I am not a humble person. When you get my Christmas card stuff you will see that. But in Christ - He can do amazing things - He can enable me to be humble. I need to be humble to accomplish ANYTHING OF WORTH IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

Don't you think God does things to us to make us humble? Reverently might I joke, "I'll give her a handicap when it comes to spelling and using maps, doing geometry, remembering faces, and that will help to humble her."

Now, about FOOD and all that "crap." But first another diversion. I regretted using that term yesterday, but I keep having secong thoughts, so now I'm not sure how I feel. Sometimes a bold term helps to express things boldly, and now the term seems somehow fitting, more fitting than I would like perhaps.

Dealing with food, eating, my body, my physical presence upon this earth, my "personal space," feeling my body being fit, being completely outta shape, not being able to walk up a flight of stairs, being able to sprint up several flights of stairs, eating, eating, abstaining, tasting the food, not tasting the food, can all be summarized - well, perhaps it is better to say - can all make me feel like IT/THIS is a bunch of crap that I have to deal with, and live with, or else I will die an early death and get diabetis, swollen ankles, heartburn, arthritis, back pain, and not be able to play with my grandchildren, not be able to see that my husband is attractive to me in a certain sort-of raw biological way, like when a Victoria Secret commerial comes on or when an attractive woman walks by and though he never seems to look, I know that his eyes can not help but dilate and I can't stand this whole boat-load of crap.

But I am mature. I am strong. I am WOMAN. (Helen Reddy, right? 1973 or 1974 or something - for those who were not with the rest of us at that time - it is a song that sort-of changed the culture, rolled in the era of the Mary Tyler Moore show who was "happy and fulfilled" in being a single working woman, or so it seemed to me because I wanted to be just like her, but it turned out that I also watched a whole lot of Brady Bunch and the Waltons, and Little House on the Priaire, and the LORD of the whole UNIVERSE who made me understood and saw that actually deep inside I was made and equipped to be a mother, a wife and although He would bless me with a really COOL career, He knew my heart would beat at the rate of the wife and mother that I am.

So, anyway, being mature, strong and a woman completely leaves me ill-equipped to deal with something so emotionally powerful as my eating, my body and all of that. But I am a child of God, and there, as that small child, I am equipped to come to Him and HE will help me and show me how to walk step-by-step through the material and "issues (dreadful term/or is it? - am I kidding?? Am I using that term??)" that resemble the word but not necessarily the actual material of crap. That is, the issues is the crap. Or is it, "the issues are the crap"? (Anybody want to give me editing lessons - where do I put the question mark, inside or outside the quote in this context? - feel free to just spell it out for everyone to see in the comments section, I'd love to learn, although don't be offended if I learn slowly, and the humility will serve me good. Don't tell me about run-on sentences, or fragments. That is a style that I am choosing on purpose. The good books, well the fun ones, say that you're allowed. So I am taking liberal license to do so. So there.)

What exactly is crap? Is it a foul word? Let's look it up, shall we? Oh my. We are really in trouble. No wonder the word "triune" was not in The New American Webster Handy College DICTIONARY third edition. Because the word "crap" is not there either. Only "cranny," then we move right along to "crane" and finally, "craps." "Craps" as in "a gambling dice game."

Let us try again. The BIG RED BOOK. I bought this book at Costco several years ago and it has never failed me. Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged DICTIONARY of the English Language.

Triune: adj. "1. three in one; constituting a trinity in unity, as the Godhead. -n. 2. (cap.) the Trinity.

Crap: Seven definitions! Does anybody have a scanner? This entry ought to be scanned and placed as an image at the top of this blog entry. Now that would be style. And a big diversion. Let's move on. We have a lot to cover.

Let me just summarize, besides the obvious "vulgar" meanings (of which there are two and of which I won't mention) there are these five OTHER, non-vulgar meanings, so therefore, the term isn't always the vulgar meaning. Other meanings include "nonsence:drivel," " a lie:exaggeration," "junk".

Oh! Here is the way that I think that I am using the word, this sixth definition seems so most fitting that I will copy it verbatim, almost like a scanner.

"6. to create a mess; cause to fail, esp. by excessive labor, material, etc.: Boy, did he crap the job up with a lot of junk."

Alright then. BTW (Do we have time for this diversion? Is it worth the reader's time?) Microsoft Word doesn't like the word, "alright," and criticizes it everytime that I use the word with a big red squiggly line under it like a middle school teacher with a big red marker, "No! Not like that! You did it WRONG!"

However, THE BIG RED BOOK says it is fine, or so the middle schooler in me would respond, "It's right here in the DICTIONARY, see? It has it's own spot and everything in the book."

But THE BIG RED BOOK can not help but agree with the teacher as it says in part, "...but it is not considered acceptable in standard English."

Well, so much more to say, but that is enough new material for our first introductory session. One summary sentence is this: Eating and body image and their associated emotions, can create a lot of mess.

Thank you so much for your attention. I can not wait to elaborate more tomorrow, or whenever we can get together again. God bless yall. (It's y'all to most of you, throughout most parts of the U.S. and the world, but it is "yall" according to the Websters Texas-Knows-Best DICTIONARY, or is that Texas-Always-Knows-Best DICTIONARY? It is bigger than the BIG RED BOOK.) We love you Texas! Praying for you and your mom, Pia.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 7:06 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Wow...Have you been taken over by pod-people...LOL!!

Slow down!..LOL. I'll find something to write about! LOL

You've written enough for both of us!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Hey, your E-mail address won't work! I posted your questions..tehe tehe

10:52 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Geez Andrea, that word sure got you fired up. I won't use it again haha.

Thanks for the english lesson though:-)

God's Grace.

5:20 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

hi Andrea :)

Jesus is in control. just trust Him :)

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home