Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The run-down


Okay. Here's what's happening. My family and I are in the process, or at least we want to, adopt a 13 year-old boy named Matt from Kentucky. We thought that it would be nice to help a boy out that could benefit from being in our family of six. But actually, really, the Lord prompted me to proceed with this, my husband wants to do this also, and everything has worked out since. It has just been difficult though. In July we started the arduous process of all the paperwork, interviews, fingerprinting, health exams, letters of references and more. All the while, I was praying about two particular boys to become part of our family. Their names are Brent and Matt. They are 12 and 13 years old. They both have had their birthdays since I have found their pictures and stories on the internet.

Brent is not available at this time for adoption, because his social workers have decided that he is going to be staying for the time being in a home that they hope may turn into an adoption situation. So his case is on hold, and our homestudy report is on file as being an interested family.

Matt is available at this time for adoption. For the last couple of months or so, the social workers have been looking into possible families. Crystal, the social worker for Matt, received our homestudy report at Thanksgiving.

I hadn't heard anything until Monday, December 12th, about 9:30 AM. At that time our social worker from California called me to let me know that Karen, someone who works with Crystal, called me and let me know that their decision making process, regarding "referring" a child for adoption placement takes about 90 days, and so I shouldn't be thinking that Matt could be referred and made available to us by the time that we go on our family ski vacation December 17th. I really appreciated hearing something. Our social worker also said at that time that Crystal was very interested in our family, and would be calling him later for more information about our family.

I was really excited, that I didn't mind that they said that I shouldn't be looking to Christmas. I realized that things were really happening, in that there were live people at the end of the email, that live people received and read our home study report, and love people were very interested in our family. I called my friend and she was excited and we prayed. I emailed my husband.

About 15 minutes after I hung up the phone with our social worker, he called back. He said that He spoke with Crystal who is very interested in our family, and in fact would like to meet us when we were in the area. She even gave her direct phone line. I said to my social worker that my husband will be there on Friday. He said that is great, but it would be better if the two of us were there, as a husband and wife team, especially meeting the mother would be important.

At that time, I called my friend back and we prayed. I spoke to my husband about my going on Friday and meeting him in Kentucky and we could meet the social worker Crystal. He said that would be alright. I checked airline reservations. I called someone to watch my two of children for Thursday PM and Friday. The other two children we were picking up from boarding school in Kentucky on Friday. The woman who I wanted to watch my kids was going to be out of town herself. So then it dawned on me that I could bring the two kids with me.

Then I called Crystal for the first (and only) time. I got her voice mail. I was struck with the high-pitched voice and youth I perceived on the other end of the line. I left a message of who I was, of my husband's Friday schedule, asked if she wanted to meet with him, and I offered that I can fly out and meet her also, and in fact so can the two children, and low and behold, the other two children were going to around also, and would she like to meet the whole family? When I noticed I was beginning to repeat myself on the phone, I left my number for a second time, said that we were really excited about the "possibility" and hung up.

Meanwhile, back in Kentucky, Matt and about 29 other kids were going on TV for "Wednesday's child," a show about fundraising and about adopting. Crystal was going to be picking up Matt for dinner and taking him to the show that aired yesterday at 8 - 9 Eastern time. I rushed home to see it, as I was told it was going to be on internet web-cast. Almost backed into a parked car. Opps. Saw it just in time. Turned out that it wasn't going to be on internet. Missed the show.

My mind raced with possibilities all day long. Won't bore (or excite?) you with all those details, or with other stuff that went on. Except to mention, we got a notice from the City of Elk Grove "Community Enhancement Coordinator" that our dog barks too much. She really doesn't, but our neighbor thinks so. What a distraction. Why don't they just come to us, rather than calling out the National Guard, for heaven's sake. Anyway.

Last night I went to my Bible Study class. Sue spoke and I wrote ferociously various notes in my Bible, as everything she said I made instant application to me. In discussion section of the Bible Study, one woman said something that struck me in particular: "When God gives a victory, even though a lot of people may have helped you, God is the One to honor and your allegiance is to Him alone, not to all the people who helped you, even though you appreciate their help. This is the verse that stuck in my head today from yesterday's lesson: "...I am.. your very great reward." That is, God Himself is my great reward. Not the fancy, cool or heart-felt, wonderful things that He does for me. No matter the circumstances, God Himself is constant - my constant and ever-present reward, including hope for future reward in fullness of knowing and being with Him.

This morning, Tuesday, I was hoping that Crystal would call. I started to worry that actually, my husband would bearly have time to meet with her, since he has to go get the children, that is, on Friday, that is, if she even wants to meet with him. And does she want to meet with me? With us? Maybe she didn't call because she is realizing that in fact that she has enough information to make a formal referral of Matt to our family, and maybe the whole family could actually meet Matt on Friday and he could come skiing with us after all.

When I called my husband about "what if" details and planning he said, "don't bother me with stuff that you don't even know until you know. If she wants to meet with us, fine, then call me." He was right. I prayed and wrote a little poem to encourage myself, and pray that God would just calm me down. And make it through the day. So I made it through the day. I was calmed down. And the day has passed. It is now 9:30 PM Kentucky time.

Tomorrow is Wednesday. I have kept my schedule clear for Friday in case I am not here in California, but meeting Crystal in Kentucky. I don't know if I should change my call schedule so that I am not working (that is, working by way of telephone) on Thursday night, if I am flying then to Kentucky. It is 1500.00 for the three of us to fly to Kentucky. Just a little thing on my mind. Oh, but so exciting to hop on a plane and go. (It is 1690.00 to get the dog surgically de-barked - we're going to try the electric dog collar first, poor thing.)

So, Wednesday, do you think that I should call Crystal back and tell her that I was wondering if she wanted to meet me on Friday, because if she does, then I need to make the arrangements? (I am also going to be out in Kentucky, Monday, January 2, but that is a holiday, and I'm sure that she isn't working.) Or should I just let the day pass on by? Then it will be Thursday....Oh, what to do?

"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all of your ways, acknowledge Him and He will set your path straight." Prov. 3.

"Dear Lord Jesus Christ,
The Risen One who is and Who is to come, glory and honor to You and to Your throne forever! You, indeed are my great reward! Help me to keep my eyes upon You. Guide me with Your eye. I am here to serve You and You alone. Help me, if it is your will, not have to call Crystal back, but please have her call me tomorrow - and at just the right time. Perfect timing so that I can accomodate her call appropriately. If it is best that I go out there with the little kids, let that happen, oh God. Let the child You want to be in our home to come to our home, a child that wants Jesus in His heart and a Christian family, who has hopes and dreams of good things to come, who wants to receive healing from Your hand and live for You and serve You -who, in fact, will do that at some point. Thank you so much for all of the people that are holding me up in prayer. I am so appreciative and really feel that I "need" it. But I know I have all I need in You, but please bless them and continue them in their prayers on behalf of my family. Help also my husband with his emotions, especially in connection with my emotions, during this time of adjustment and change. Lord, reign! Amen. We pray for miracles from the sky as a regular part of ordinary, every day Christianity. We are not great. You are great and You are willing to work greatly in us."

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 5:37 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

You are so cute!!!

Slow down. you left her a message, don't call back. you don't want her to start thinking that your a deranged stalker :-)

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember you wrote here before something like if you call, you're trying to work it out yourself, but if you didn't and the social worker calls you then that's God working in your behalf. i believe that God is already working. everything will be all right.

praying for you...

9:07 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Jesus only wants the very best for all His children. just continue to trust Him :)

God bless you =D

10:36 PM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

You know what? You're sooo lovely Andrea =) Knowing that you have all you need in Christ is such a great conviction isn't it? The Lord wil surely reign! Relax and rejoice in Him.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Our prayers continue. I hope you will find some relief from the anxiety today.

2:40 AM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Thanks. I will trust in Him.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Just Trust! He is working it all out. We sometimes get in His way, I have to take my hands out of things sometimes and just sit back and TRUST and it is so difficult!!!

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home