Sunday, January 15, 2006

Homeless and Home


As I was driving in a taxi, on the way to the Miami airport, I noticed a homeless person lying on the stairs of a big church. I've seen similar sights in other cities as well, maybe you have also.

While I was on the airplane, flying United, listening to music on my headphones, I heard Carrie Underwood's new single, "Jesus, take the wheel." I reflected upon what a powerful message the song delivers, and what a great thing God has done, allowing that song to be mainstream.

This morning as I was awakening from my nighttime slumber, I sang in my mind, "Jesus take the wheel," and I gave myself, once again, to my Lord and Savior. I thought about some deep regrets that I have in my life. I prayed that God would heal me from them, as the two I am thinking of, I don't even like to think about. One is silly really, and if I wrote it down, you wouldn't think less of me. You would say, “You were just a child," "That was just childish foolishness." I was ignorant. But still, I feel so ashamed about my inability to handle responsibly what someone entrusted to me. I let myself down and I let her down and her too.

Anyway, as I reflected this morning, I collapsed the two images: the person laying on the concrete steps of the church and the song, "Jesus take the wheel." I layered my own regrets and earnestness of a prayer to make me competent and my husband too. Then I saw it. I am the homeless one. I sit upon the steps of Jesus Christ and all that He is and all that He stands for. What am I without Him to clothe me? Who am I without Him to lift me up?

Lord Jesus,
I do lift up those two memories to you. I guess I feel so ashamed for the first memory, because I was given a great gift and I squandered it. I was swindled from it because I trusted a stranger. It was a set-up waiting to happen.

Lord, help my husband to become a husband like it says in I Peter 3, to live with his wife in an understanding way, and to protect her interests, look after her, pray for her, and want the best for her. Lord, You are my God and my Savior, my only Lord of heaven and earth. However, You desire that the husband and wife relationship reflect Your glory. In that respect, I pray that my husband and I would reflect Your glory. That I would respect my husband and that he would care for me. That I would even obey my husband in the way that You created and intended Eve to be a helpmeet for her husband. I pray that You would enable my husband to love his wife as Christ loved the church, giving himself for her and loving and cherishing her as his own body. In this way, glorify Yourself through our lives.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 6:19 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Yeah, asking Jesus to take the wheel is of ultmost importance. So often we just want to drive our own car and leave Jesus in the passenger's seat.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for your prayers, andrea. thank you also for the package you sent. i'm not sure if you got my email but i got the package already and i loved it! with my current situation, God taught me to rely on Him more. yes, to give Him the wheel. he said that we should be still because He is in control.

God bless you, sis.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

I agree with kitty. Pastor did a semon this summer where he got in the car on the passenger side, and asked Jesus, where He was going to take him!

I'm still praying for you and your family!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home