Monday, February 20, 2006

MY FOOD AND MY BODY - an occasional series


When You are 220 pounds and have come to the realization that at the moment that you are stuffing your face that you are dishonoring God, yourself, the creation that He made, and so you repent, all the while while you are chewing and swallowing, you realize that you have a way bigger problem than you can deal with. I mean, real repentance is to bring a change in behavior, right? Well, I was repentant, but while I was crying out to God for the sorrow of my sin, I was sinning, chewing, stuffing and swallowing - no lie.

That, my friend, is called spiritual bondage. What bondage are you in, Christian? What thing holds you? What thing brings you down that you can not loose? Cry out to Jesus. But it may only be a start.

Jesus said, "These kind only come out by prayer and fasting."

I began praying for my food addiction problem in 1992. The Lord broke the hold of that addiction over time, but around 12 years later. I went through two cycles of fasting, during which time I thought the devil was having the best of me, but in the end, I was set free.

Not that my food inclinations are over. Why do you think I am so obessed with this stuff? Because I still have issues. But the problem is not of bondage proportions. Christ resides in a place in me that food does not hold my body hostage the way it did. Now Christ is glorified in my body, in my eating."Not that I am perfect or have already obtained these things, but I press on upwards unto the calling of God for which he called me...(Phil 3:14).

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 5:55 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger audrey` said...

Yeah!

Up and on to an intimate relationship with our Lord.

Jesus loves us so much!

3:14 PM  
Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Amen. I'm working on it! I can't fast because of health problems but I am starting to eat better...and will begin exercising soon! Keep praying for me! Love ya!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

This is such an encouraging post. I have my own obsession, and I need to repent too. Let's keep each other in prayers.

5:00 AM  
Blogger AndieB said...

I struggle with the same problem... I have been reading this book called "Thin Within". It's a grace-orientated approach to lasting weight loss. Honestly, it has opened my eyes to my "food issues"

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Boy did I ever need to read this! Thank you for sharing.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home