Tuesday, February 14, 2006

She was HOT.


I'm on a new diet, The Maker's Diet, and in it he recommends a partial day of fasting once per week, so that is what I did yesterday. He recommended praying every time that I felt hungry, so needless to say, I prayed a lot.

Yesterday was also my Bible Study day, and I hadn't gotten a lot of my homework done by yesterday, so I got extra time in His word yesterday as well.

Here is what I recall that I was struck with. And I was struck. I cried in the car and then later I cried (quietly) when I did more of the study in the restaurant where I ate my lone meal of the day. (Did I tell you this morning when the alarm went off it interupted the dream I was having about eating and possessing a whole lot of chocolates?)

They were tears of joy and gratitude. When I sat in my car alone and did part of my lesson, in the middle of doing it I exclaimed out loud to no one in particular at all, except I knew God was there, and I said, "I have never been loved like this before! I have never been taken care of like this before!"

During the group discussion time of the Bible Study later that night, I recall being impressed about how I didn't recognize one woman in the group, but I sort of did, and then I realized that it was the woman that recently had the gastric-bypass surgery. She looks so different as the weight is coming off. I was wondering if it was hard for her not being able to eat hardly anything at all. I remember thinking about the fact that in heaven perhaps I will sit around in a circle with a bunch of people also, and they will be the "blogging group of blogspot.com 2006." Well, so much for the depth of spiritual insights there. I guess my mind was wondering a bit.

When the lecture came, I loved soaking in God's word and His truths. Isn't it wonderful to sit in the bathwater of God's grace and provision and just enjoy Him? I wish that I could take it all in, but I can't. But good thing, He never changes. He is the same today, yesterday and forever. We may not be able to soak in all of God's goodness, but He is always available. Always ready to hold me.

The lesson was on the section of Genesis where Isaac gets his wife Rebecka. Rebecka was "extremely good-looking." In other words, she was HOT. (Footnote: In the blog "Sweeter than ever" there were these guys on a CD cover and a discussion ensued about how the guys were HOT, one person noticing that they were hot, but also commenting on the fact that it wasn't very spiritual to say so. What to do? Well, the servant in Genesis noticed that Rebecka was hot, but he also noticed all of the other attributes about her as well, and in the passage we see how he remained very spiritually focused, even though she noticed that Rebecka was a hotty. Maybe he wouldn't have used that term. Maybe the used of that term tilts the whole perspective out of the spiritual?)

She was quite a beautiful woman in her behavior as well, personable and hospitable, watering ALL TEN of the camels, and offered to do so. She was pure also, a virgin. And she was adventurous - willing to go 600 miles to a land she had never been, to marry a man she had never met and to travel there with a stranger. She was also the eager recipient of nice things. She readily put on the gold rings and bracelets. She wasn't bashful or apologetic, both for receiving the nice things and for being beautiful. But these things were secondary in importance over hospitality and purity which were of secondary importance to God's plan. She was the girl that God had picked out for Isaac. That was the key. Abraham and the servant, who picked the girl, wanted to find the girl that God had planned for Isaac, not the hottest virgin or the hardest working or the most hospitable. But, what do you know, they got the whole package. "Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all of these things will be added to you."

Jesus,
Bless me to be like Rebecka, even in my middle age, and bless my girls to be as Rebecka and my sons to seek after and find the woman that You have chosen for them, and may they be Rebeckas. Go with me today in EVERY SINGLE THING and in EVERY SINGLE THING in my husband's and four children's lives. Give strength, patience, and wisdom to my husband, expanding his hospitable and giving heart and securing His ways and protecting him from evil. Bless our home designing process and all of the finances regarding everything involved, especially all of the little things that add up. Help me in my spending habits. Bless Your name. Be with me in my eating. Amen.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 8:04 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I have been going through Genesis again in my quiet time and it has been so good.

At night when we go to the dinner table, we all take our bibles and after we eat, we share something God has placed on our heart and it ends up being about two hours later when we leave the table. But the thing is I was reading that very scripture, He is the same yesterday, today and forever and putting alot of emphasis on it!

Then I came here and see you are studying Genesis and then you have that same scripture. I was wondering exactly what God is trying to say to me at this moment.

Thanks for praying for my mom, she has been sick for about three years and it is taking it's toll this year. She was in good spirits today as I spoke with her on the phone.

2:30 AM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

I don't know, but maybe God is trying to show You that He is there, that He sees. You know, the greatness of how He works, but also HE must be saying something also about those particular scriptures and truths. May He show You what He is saying and may You hear and seek (not in that order perhaps). May the Lord continually bring your mom and you to my mind that I may pray for you both. May God hold you in what must be a difficult time. Oh, that is so wonderful about the dinner time hour that you all (yall) have. Praise God for that. May He continue to find a place to dwell and rest in your home and may He protect you all in the palm of His great right hand.

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home