Thursday, February 09, 2006

An appointed place


Last night and this morning I have been reflecting upon the reality that God has an appointed place for each of His children, a place that is best for them, a place that they were created to occupy.

Jesus said to His disciples who asked to be seated at His left and right in the kingdom, that those places are for those for whom they are reserved.

Hagar and Ishmael, from Abraham's day, each had an appointed place, but they were unwilling to accept it. They should have accepted their place and been happy. Easier to say that do - that's for sure!

I don't really like being appointed to the limitations (as I had always seen it) of being a woman. I don't like being "appointed" to having to trust each day for God's provision and mercy. Like I have said before, just give me stored up grain for seven years and I will be set.

I want to be appointed a great place of power. Like to be a governor, or a famous person - someone really special. That is why I initially wanted to be a doctor, to get respect and honor. Yes, I am a doctor. A doctor. A psychiatrist really is a doctor.

But God didn't choose me to be a doctor so that I could have so-called percieved respect. He wanted to teach me (I think) how to be merciful.

God sees my real personality. I see what the environment has twisted me to want to be. Why do I need to be somebody, if not to try to fix some of my old "issues," or just to feed my pride?

The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life - these sins get us all, one or the other or all of them. For me, pride has been the big one for me thus far in this life.

God made me to be a different sort of person than I would be on my own. He made me to have certain likes and interests, that I wouldn't find on my own if it were not for His help.

Lately I have begun to realize that my personality isn't even to be famous, or in a position of great power. My personality is to be quiet, for the most part, to be busy at home and to just reflect upon the great things of God. To pray and meditate. It is there that I find contentment. God has not called me to be famous, at least not yet and at least not any time soon.

What a hassle it would be to be famous. All that worrying that I would do. I don't even like the spotlight. It is my false self that thinks she wants the spotlight to fulfill the mistaken notion that being seen is being loved and appreicated.

I have God's love and I am content. Lord, Help me to stay in step with Your Spirit, doing whatever You call me to do. You know the plans that You have for me. You know who I really am. You know what is best for me. Help me to trust You moment by moment and day by day. Thank You for holding my world together. In Jesus' name, Amen.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 7:37 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger Godwyn Lim said...

I just realize I do not need much in life as long as I am with Jesus! My recent uncle who pass away reminded me how short time is in life & how things can happen for a reason.

I think at the right time, right place, the Lord will come for us with our callings:-) Amen?! He has a plan for all his Children, the prince & the princess!

"O Lord, You are my God; I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name; For you have worked wonders, PLANS formed long ago, with perfect faithfulnes" Isaiah 25:1

9:51 AM  
Blogger Ileana said...

Remember Mel Gibson in his interview after The Passion movie where he said he had it all--fame, title of "Sexiest Man Alive," all the drugs and women he could possibly want, and yet he still felt empty? He said only Christ could fill that void. How true!

2:21 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Yeah!
Our Heavenly Father has the most perfect plan for each of us. We just need to trust and obey Him.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Great Post, I am amazed sometimes at your transparency. Your thoughts speak to me in many ways and cause me to think about my own life. Thanks for allowing God to use you as you write for Him.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

If we stay close to Jesus in prayer and do what He calls us to do, we will get all the recognition and fame we need. The funny thing is, the more you stay close to Jesus, the less you want or need it. Because our true love is God and God alone.

5:37 AM  
Blogger vandorsten said...

Good thoughts here. Keep working this out.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Fantastic post Andrea! Amen to your heartfelt prayer.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

i really enjoyed this post. i love discovering more and more of who God made me to be and seeking Him on ways to LIVE as that woman.

"Trust moment by moment, day by day...holding my world together". Yes, He holds our worlds together...thankfully...b/c i'm fully incapable, that's for sure.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home