Sunday, February 25, 2007

Stay Focused


It is a battle, after all. It is a battle of the mind. Of the will.

Today while I was waiting for my Togos order, I said to myself, and then to my Lord, “You have my mind, my life and my time.”

Generally in my mind, my life and my time, I find myself pushed and otherwise constrained to plan and think and do and go. And it dawned on me, since God is sovereign and since He loves me and since He is only good, and since I want to do His will, then where is there worry? Where is striving, in the human sense? Where is trying-to-get-it-all-done?

Yet the proof is in the pudding, is it not? Where the rubber meets the road is where in my life I actually have a changed life where anxiety is, in fact, put away.

Things are getting better. Things are looking up. I used to be a very anxious person and over the years, my anxiety is a lot less. I still love to achieve, but I need to keep with God’s rhythm, and not follow my own drumbeat.

The battle is in the mind to, in fact, have the mind of Christ and not my own instead.

“Father, my God,
Help me to stay within Your shield of protection. You are the Lifter of my head and the Sustainer of my life. Let me live my life before You encased and enclosed in Your love. Grant me the gift of a humble and contrite nature. I submit my mind, my life and my time. Help me to just walk, ignoring the tremendous pain and the repeated and irritating desire to be mad. As Oswald Chambers says, self pity is of the devil. I feel in pain and constrained, but I am also sustained and I am the recipient of tremendous blessings - in You!”

Do you ever feel exalted and abased at the same time, the same day? I feel like the circumstances in my life are in two different directions, and I need to stay on the level road of Christ. One reason I think that I have difficulties amongst great blessings is that the Lord knows how to keep me humble.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 7:42 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

great post, beautiful prayer, He is still in the business of teaching us and showing us who we really are, as well as putting us in situations to develop Godly character in us.

He never sleeps and never slumbers and time is nothing to Him, He never changes, yet He is daily changing us. I am sure He has heard your prayer and is smiling as you give Him joy because it is so obvious you love Him!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Cinder said...

thank you so much for this post! it seems i need to remind myself daily of this lately.

He's always there...

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sista Cala said...

"Abased and exalted on the same day" Is that anything like going on a day trip where you start at the foot of a mountain and reach the summit by end of day?

I do believe we should find a balance in our walk w/God. Yet, if we do not experience the valley we won't truly appreciate the mountain top. If we stay on the top of the mount, we will never be of service to those in the valley.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Ahh yes, he certainly does know how to keep us humble...and even in that we are blessed for there are so many who do not know His humbling or hear his voice or sense His leading....our lives always seem to be in such dichotomy...I suppose that is our spirit and soul each striving to have its own way..may the way of the Spirit always win!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your prayer, you mentioned the Lifter of my head. That very song our choir sang this last sunday and I have been singing it over and over. God has a wonderful way of giving us encouragement when we need it the most. Great post.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Ileana said...

Knowing and trusting God takes away anxiety. I, too, suffered from it, but the love of Christ has brought me peace. There are days when I feel run down, but He is always there to bring me up.

Whenever I stop by, I say a prayer for you...no matter what you write about. You are a blessing.

4:02 PM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Thank you Lord!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home