Sunday, February 04, 2007

Superbowl "fun"


Ahhhh! A wonderful hour at the old blog. I am hopeful that today I can go to my friends' blogs. But first I am going to write. I wonder if I am going to be able to enter into Maria's blog because there is some sort of block for me to get in there. I hope I can go back several weeks to finally respond to those who have visited me. I've been busy, and sometimes I wonder why (God, I think/presume) has me kept so busy.

Today I sat in my car and caught up on my Bible homework. It was wonderfully slow in and about our small city at the time. I live in a California city that looks identical whether it sprang up in any one of a plethora of locations within the State. Home Depot here, Romano's Macaroni Grill there, Starbucks there, and there and there like speckles sprinkled throughout the small metropolis.

There were not many people walking around because the Superbowl had already begun. However, I saw several Asians walking, and then later another Asian man walking. I didn't go home and do my homework at home for two reasons. First, "we" were having a Superbowl party at our house ("oh yippee") and it would be difficult to do Bible homework. Second, second....second. I can't remember the second point. Maybe I wrapped up both point one and two in the first point. Now as re-read point number one, it rather contains two points.

While in the car as I was reading the temptation and fall of King David before the beautiful Bathsheba, I read that David fell when a number of circumstances came together. One of those reasons was the fact that he did not go off to war when it was the time for kings to go off to war. He was not kept busy. He was not struggling and begging God as he had to do for so much of his life up to this time. Sometimes hard work keeps us out of trouble. So maybe that is why the Lord has me work hard, to keep me out of trouble, and to keep my abiding in the vine, remembering how much I need Him.

Earlier today my husband, his sister and two of my children and myself went to church. What a blessing. My husband brought his sister who was visiting us for the Superbowl (“oh yippee”) weekend. What a bold testimony before her, not only that he was going to church, but also to bring her. God is working, even though we are having a carnal Superbowl party at our house (right now as I write), (“oh, yippee”). One little girl who is over the house is about age 12. My thirteen year old daughter led her to the Lord when she was about five and gave her a tiny little Bible. Since that time her parents have divorced, her alcoholic father has moved in and out of living with another woman whom he never loved but used, got arrested for drunk driving and had his sentence increased to something like 130 hours of community service for smarting off to the judge. I hope that my daughter is able to continue to witness and encourage her friend in God’s truth! May God move in both she and her father’s life. While we (“we?”) are on the subject, over the past several years the father of the girl has witnessed the transformation of my husband from being occupied each Sunday worshipping football to inviting the guests for today’s wonderful Superbowl extravaganza (“oh yippee”) to arrive anytime after 11 AM (so he can go to church! – they can do the math).

Anyway, while at church this morning (now what was I going to say about that? I’m tired! I’ve been working really hard lately, guess I need to go sleep soon). I can not remember what I was going to say about church this morning. But it was great to go. Fantastic to go with my husband. So many years (19!) I went alone. So going with him is wonderful, a blessing. Having the first member of his family come along with him is phenomenal and maybe that was the entire point I was going to make. This important point is useful to remember because I don’t really like this Superbowl (“oh yippee”) party that is going on at this time, but I don’t want to talk about that anymore.

Well, I must say I am a little taken aback by my forgetful tendencies today as I have been writing this blog. I am tempted to erase (or I guess I should say, “cut”) and go on. Pretend it never happened. But I want to be real. The real me. Not a fake, glossy, plastic substitute.

Oh, but to be impressive! Oh, but to inspire out of some sort of innate wit and charm! Oh the lure to, having begun in the Spirit to then try and be perfected in the flesh! It is God! If He wants to make me look impressive then He will work in ways that I can not even muster up myself. He will do with His Holy Spirit what He wants to do. I just need to get out of the way. Oh, I want to be used of God.

I want to be used at the hospital where I work. Let me talk a little bit about that. My hospital has struggled for many years, and no matter what particular CEO is at the helm for that particular month or year, nobody can pick up Humpty Dumpty and put together a hospital that is actually stellar, or above average.

Over this past week I have grown frustrated about this fact and wondered if there was something that I could do about the situation. Last night after going to bed, I felt inspired to get up and write out a bunch of points, which I did. An hour and half later, and then an hour after that I finally fell back to sleep. This morning I woke up to realize the whole list, while probably useful, was probably not implement-able other than the realization that I just need to keep doing the best I can do personally while I am there.

Not much more I have to say today!

Okay, a couple more words. As I was looking up books to get started reading for my MBA, I read about something called Organizational Behavior. It is like the psychology of organizations. That is so cool. I am a psychiatrist. It would be fun to travel through out the US and go into other organizations and analyze what they are doing wrong and tell them. I think I would do that well, just like at the hospital I think I see what the problems are, even though I may not feel like
pounding down those ideas down all of the opposition’s throats’ (somebody follow behind me and correct my grammar please!) at the particular place that I work. I wonder what the Lord has for me to do.

I am praying that the Lord would bring my husband into the body of Christ as a functioning member. Life is waiting for him!

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 5:57 PM

12 Comments:

Blogger Karuna said...

Dear Ordinary, what u said about "I am praying that the Lord would bring my husband into the body of Christ as a functioning member. Life is waiting for him!"
...same here...lets agree for this to come through(Mt 18:19). I guess God wants for me to increase my passion, my love, my desperate longing to have a "functional" Body of Christ in our home...then sometimes I think, maybe I'm not longing enough, what will I do if it really happens, how all-out will I go for Jesus my Lord?...I don't know sometimes...(sigh)
Love Godzheart.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I'm praying for the same things for my husband. Life is waiting indeed. Oh but you do inspire out of innate wit and charm. Extremely witty and charming for sure and anything but "ordinary"! : )

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ordinary -

Wow! Long time no visit! I don't know how or why, but perhaps I lost your link when I moved my blog a year ago... but certainly it's not been that long, has it? Hmmm.

So I can tell you're about as thrilled over the Superbowl as me... hehe. Thankfully my hubby didn't MAKE us watch it. We saw a few minutes and I fell asleep on the couch. So yay!

Also, I started reading the post below this one, and my favorite song of the moment is Redeemer, the one you talked about. I downloaded the one from iTunes by Nicole C. Mullen. It's truly amazing.

Hope your evening was good!

BTW my new blog address is http://jayleigh.wordpress.com if you wanted to update it in your blogroll. :-)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Cinder said...

Ordinary,

I am enjoying your posts so much! I too have been catching up on my Bible homework...He's been taking me many interesting places and I've been experiencing many different revelations as a result.

I hope you'll have a very blessed week!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

You do sound tired..I know you must have been working very hard indeed. I only wish I had a Superbowl party to attend. My family enjoys football but this year we had no friends nearby to watch with...even my daughter found somehwere else to be. it was a quiet game for my hubby and I to watch...the Lord is doing His work in your life and your family...mine too...:) thank you Jesus!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

Dear Ordinary Christian...I saw your kind comment on Donna's blog and thought I would come down and see what an "ordinary" Christian is and read your profile.
I LIKE it but you know what it made me think of Ordinary Christian?..Well let's put it this way, the words of this song that Squire Parsons wrote and sang with the Kingsmen Quartet are playing in my heart;

"Well it didn't make the papers
In this world when I prayed through.
It didn't seem to matter
To all but just a few;
But on the golden streets of glory
Celebration banners waved,
It MADE news in Heaven
When I got saved!

Not long ago a beggar,
Now a child of the King.
This old world just shrugged its shoulders
It didn't mean a thing,
But it was God's approval
My spirit really craved.
Yes! it MADE News in Heaven
When I got saved!

Angels were rejoicing,
Hallelujahs rang,
When Jesus touched my life,
And I was changed.
Everyone in glory's realm
Knew my name was written down.
It MADE news in Heaven
When I got saved!


There you go Ordinary Christian...You sure aren't just ordinary to God!!...from Terry

God Bless you..

8:34 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

Dear Ordinary Christian...after making my last comment, I read your posting. It is really close to my heart.
Bernie and I have been married for 35 years almost and he used to be a functioning member too.
About a year later, he quit going all together and to me that was hard.
About 15 years ago, he DID come back to at least the gospel meeting on a Sunday evening and for this I am happy.
I think it is so nice that your husband went to church this week and brought with him his sister and how nice..your two children!!

To me it is so marvellous that even though some Christians do forsake the assembling together of themselves with the saints, that even so God will never forsake them and they are still His own dear children!

This was a good posting Ordinary "Extraordinary" Christian!!!...from Terry

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though you are weary in body, you are not weary in well-doing. May God richly bless your family for being the witnesses you are.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Sista Cala said...

Although your list contains things you can not directly change or improve, you have the right idea to continue to serve with a spirit of excellence.

I have recently assumed the lead position on our Patient Satisfaction Team, and have experienced just what you are talking about. I have lots of ideas and even some willing helpers but no authority to actually change some things. I have asked God to show me a back-door/low profile approach that can cause the administration to realize the need for certain changes. Basically, so they will think it is their idea. :-) That's how it seems to work in our organization.

Be encouraged, your positive Christian example will be noticed and will minister to those you come in contact with.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Ileana said...

"Life is waiting for him!" I love that last line. In my case, I am leaving it up to God. I tried with my effort to bring my husband to Christ and now I'm just letting go and letting God take over. There is no better way.

Thanks for stopping by, and yes, I've been out and about and having fun...WITH my husband. He took the pic of me with Bernie Kosar. It was a fundraiser at my husband's new job and I met so many interesting, fun people. We're finally going out again and enjoying each other's company. Life is good.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ordinary, I guess by now you are past the SuperBowl party and things are back to normal. thanks for answering all my questions. Hope you are having a wonderful week and just wanted to say you are in my prayers today. One thing about the Lord is He is not like us, He never sleeps nor slumbers, He is always working. It's comforting to know He is aware and knows the desires of our hearts. God bless you and your family.

12:53 AM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

What a joy it is for me to open up this blog and see that so many of you have been busy at work while I have been slumbering (as far as the blogging life goes). I am truly blessed! Thank you!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home