Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Up to date


Today I will develop a blog based upon the comments that I have received in my last blog. Loved the feedback, by the way.

After I wrote that blog that day, when I wrote that blog that is (see last blog), I asked my husband if he thought that I was intense. I told him what Pat the hairdresser said and a bit about how the entire question developed. He said the same thing that many of you said on the comments section of the last blog. That is, namely, that Pat did not understand the definition of the word “intense.” My husband said that I was intense, but that did not imply that I was impatient or not easy going. So y’all are right. About everything – poll the audience, you know? And you’re right. I am intense and that does not imply that I am impatient or rude.

That night when I was asking my husband about this, my thoughts were racing and I was feeling all jumpy and saying to myself, “you’re intense, you know that you are. That is why you are lying here on this bed with your husband (that’s where I was at the time) and you’re mind is racing and you are feeling all jumpy.” And that was that and life moved on. My mind does not race every night, just sometimes.

How did I get my hair done? The way that I always get it done. Let me back up. In the early 1990’s I would just get my hair cut at, like, Supercuts. Then when I was pregnant with my third child I noticed that my hair was changing from its regular blond color to like a brown, a dirty brownish blaa. So I asked my girlfriend about getting my hair highlighted and she recommended a hair place. So then I started to get my hair highlighted/streaked. Overtime, however, pretty much the entire hair was “getting work done,” that is, falling under the influence of the hairdresser’s direct influence of one sort of dye or another.

Over the years the hair situation developed such that I go to a new hairdresser because the original place was like an hour from my home, and additionally, now I get my hair “weaved” about every 9 weeks and get my roots done every 3 weeks. I get my hair weaved with three different colors – a light brown, a blond and a lighter blond. My roots are done in the neutral beige paint (no, just a blond color). I have the streaks done thinly, rather than wide bands of hair that are streaked, so to look more natural. I do everything, including getting the roots done every three weeks with the end in mind of being more “natural.” I get the roots done every three weeks because over the past several years my hair has become more and more gray.

I do talk abut getting my hair dyed, from time to time as the subject comes up. For example, my relatives were over and we were talking about how my brother-in-law was getting quite gray. I said, “I don’t have a gray hair on my head – they’re all dyed!”

So, who is watching American Idol? I don’t watch regular TV but our family has been watching American Idol for several years and really enjoy it. I also watch a show by Kay Arthur called, “Precepts for Life,” which I would highly recommend.

Other odds and ends – the past week I have been focused on getting out about 500 flyers inviting others to a Women’s Bible Study. My friend and I invited people in our neighborhood. I hope that others come. I am surprised that others don’t really seem that invested in studying the Bible. The Bible Study will be in my home and starts next Monday night. We will be studying Precepts II Samuel. If any of you want to study with us from afar, we can figure out how to make it happen!

You know what is the hard part about being an intense 44 year old woman? My husband is not. He is laid back. That is a good thing, because how could a family function with two of us with the same personality? However, being married for 23 years with someone who is not intense has helped to actually give me patience (that, and having four children), but it isn’t easy, but what marriage is? (But it certainly is not boring!)

Today I don’t feel intense. I guess I got my fill at work and at home. There are things I am worrying about and struggling with but I keep try to look up to God and remember that the work of being a Christian is to believe and that is not always easy. Sometimes it is hard to trust and wait on God. I am learning a lot in my morning Bible Study with the Lord. Remember, “For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory (Deuteronomy 20:4).

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 6:48 PM

8 Comments:

Blogger Ileana said...

I need Him to do that...Fight for me against my enemies to give me victory. I think I'll go to bed now with that thought in my head. Have a great night and a beautiful next day!

You know, there's only one guy I know who everyone thinks is "intense" and he's a pain in the butt, so don't knock it w/ the hubby. Mine's laid back, too. Intense on a man kinds scares me. :)

7:45 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Great post, sounds like you are going to have a wonderful bible Study. What bible do you use? NIV? NLT or NASB or just KJV? I don't know why, but I was just curious. I was thinking when I was going to Bible study Fellowship we used the NIV. I have a Parallel version I love, but mostly study the NIV.

I watch American Idol. I have a friend whom I am very close to and we will watch it and call everytime we see someone who we think should never have auditioned. I am amazed at some of the people who go, but I am awed by their courage too!

I will be going to get my hair done in about two more weeks, I have it done about every six to eight weeks.

How are all the kids? Are three of them at school now? Do you only have one at home? I have the two boys at home and another who wants to come to live with us, but we are having alot of issues with Jeremy and are not sure it is a good idea. We are praying about it and waiting on God. I had a meeting yesterday and didn't make it because of icy roads, so maybe next week.

Anyway, keep us up to date on the Bible Study, it sounds like fun!!!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Your hair sounds just like mine..I find that several shades of blonde helps hide the gray!
I agree, the "intense" discussion was very interesting..aren't we all created diferently yet perfect in Gods sight!?
I'm so glad the weekend is in sight..hope you have a good one!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

To believe is not always easy...isn't taht the truth?! But our faith is what sets us apart and what in fact makes us Christian. Thank you for the Deut. reference. Love that.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Girl you are too funny! Gld you got imput fomr your hubby on intensity so now you have the ok to be hwo yo uare a little bit more...;) You are waaay into the hair thing...me I'm trying to keep it simple...highlights twice a year...cut every 6 weeks...it was running into TOOOO much money...:) now if I can get my hubby to cut back LOL

9:08 AM  
Blogger Karuna said...

Nice verse you got. It surely helps to be reminded of that now and then, else I could get panicky real easy.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so nice to know that God fights for us, that He fights our battles. if we truly believe that in our hearts, peace will reign in our lives. we always want that for ourselves, but i guess it's up to us to receive what God has been offering us all along.

blessings to you. =)

9:44 PM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

I love you all! May the Lord enable me to visit y'all soon! There is always Glory (when we can talk and meet at length!)I played hookey this morning and wrote the blog that was heavy on my mind, now I am checking these wonderful comments! Maybe someone can tell Maria (first comment above) that I have not been able to enter into her site for a computer error problem. Anyway, love to you all. I think the blog that I just wrote I might sent to Focus on the Family Physician magazine, becuase I think it may help people. They published a couple things for me years ago.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home