Friday, August 26, 2005

August 26, 2005


Heb 6:12 "We do not want you to become lazy...but...inherit what has been promised." NIV

Well, if somebody told me not be be lazy, and then told me to get to work, I would understand what they were asking. Like my 92 year old grandmother for example, she was a heard worker all of her life, and would tell me frequently when I grew up, not to play, but to work. When she called somebody, "lazy," it was a real put-down in her mind. And nobody ever called her lazy, that's for sure. No, she was the hardest worker around, right up into her late eighties.

So when I read, "don't be lazy," I don't expect next to read, "inherit promises." Hugh? I love it when people tell my daughter that she and I look alike. One time (once only) someone asked if we were sisters. She doesn't like it much at all when people tell her that we look alike, but there is not much that she can really to about it. She inherited her resemblence from God to look like me. She didn't turn out looking like me because she wasn't lazy.

When I stretch in an athetic class or yoga-type stretches, it is hard work. When God prompts me to keep trusting Him, despite what circumstances shout at me, despite actual so-called "reality" - that is, the "reality" of the world apart from God's active intervention, "reality" of the natural course of the things of this world, when God prompts me to trust Him still, it is hard work. (You follow that line of my reasoning? That's the way I talk, too verbose, but when I go off like that, over-describing, I'm surprised to see that people actually seem to track what I say, or perhaps they are just being polite).

Trusting is the hard work. Its the "don't be lazy" part. On the other hand, trusting when there really isn't any trust involved is not hard work. That is what comes naturally. The electricity turns on, the paycheck comes, the husband comes home at night. "I trust that the electricity will turn on, that I will get paid every two weeks and that my husband will return home tonight." That isn't trust, but assuming the natural course of events in this world.

What do you do when the electricity doesn't come on (like in New York in that black-out, or during a hurricane in Florida or when no one sent in the money to pay the bill - or there's no money to pay the bill -- or when a burgler just cut out the power to the house (Oh, God forbid and have mercy on us!).

"Okay God, I want to trust You, that You love me and that You're working in this problem, but the house is going to foreclose and my husband has been out all night!"

The psalmist cried out, "How long, Oh Lord, How long?"
Job cried out, "Though He slay me, I will trust in Him,"
and Jesus pronounced, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?"

Stetching of my faith hurts. Choosing to trust God rather than curse Him, or rather than to dismiss Him, or rather than to find my own way of escape, or rather than to eat warm and comforting food as a way of coping is difficult. More than difficult, is impossible. A time comes when the flesh screams out against the spirit and the spirit screams out against the flesh and my mind has a choice - to be lazy or not to be lazy.

Don't be lazy. Don't be lazy. Don't be lazy. Trust...inherit the promises.

Heb 6:15 "And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promises." NKJ

Mat 25:23: "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" NIV

Receive the blessing from God. Put yourself in the position to receive from God. Let those muscles of faith stetch. Trust in a good God who loves us and created and sustains the whole world. He knows how to take care of our problems. That's not the issue. The issue is eternal faith. Eternal trust. Eternal love. Eternity's blessing. Trusting that God loves you. That that His work on the cross was enough to prove that He loves you and knows what is best. To give your whole life to Him because you want to love that much too.




posted by An Ordinary Christian | 9:19 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

And sometimes, but not always thank goodness, when we're being lazy, God gives us a much needed kick in the behind to get us moving again. That's what happened to me. He must of thought, "okay, enough waiting around for her to get off her spiritual duff, I'm going to help her along a little!"

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. You really encouraged me through your honest words. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggles and feels afraid!

Becky

11:02 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

this was an awesome post.

The problem we usually have is not Trusting.

We have to trust God knows what we are capable of handling and everything that comes our way is for a reason and all we can do sometimes is Trust!

When I finally learned that concept the stress in my life went to nearly zero, cause I realized God is in control and nothing happens to me that didn't pass over his desk first.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I followed you over from Becky's site. VERY good things to remember! Thank you.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I stopped back by to see if you posted today. have a great day in the Lord!!

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home