Friday, November 11, 2005

Be still my soul


A couple weeks ago I wrote about how the body and mind are actually separate but often the body dictates, inappropriately, what we do. I wrote, "Who's in control here anyway?" Not that it is easy, but our mind is to have control of our body and its lusts. For a maturing Christian, often a spiritual process has to take place for the mind to take over and be able to control the tempral body and its passions.

Well, I noticed in the song I've referenced the last couple of days that the words, "Be still my soul," explains a similar process but it speaks of the mind controlling the thoughts and preoccupations of the mind. Like in the Bible when Jesus says, "Do not let your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid, you trust in God, trust also in me." Or time and time and time and time again when the Bible speaks of not letting yourself be afraid.

It's like there is this expectation that we ourselves have some measure of control over the matter. Like there is a spiritual process that we can mature in and come to the point that we can choose not to be afraid, but to trust in God. Or there is simply a decision that we can make to not be fretful about something, but to place our cares into God's hands.

Trusting God and letting go of, not taking stock in,our fears seems like something important to God that we are to do while we are on earth.

So, when the social worker cancelled the latest meeting with our family and scheduled it for a week away, I just gave up. Gave up my fret and anxiety. It's too much to keep worrying about, and ordering and trying to provide for and it is wearing me out.

"Be still my soul" is something I was able to do yesterday, and it was a peace filled day for the most pX

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 7:21 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home