Thursday, January 19, 2006

Who's son is it? and Take it to the Limit - a montage of ideas


Early AM: Dear Lord,
You are the initiator and I follow. Help me to stand firm in the ground that You have set me upon. Enable me to stand and watch Your work like a little girl who watches a fireworks show, like the little girl who listen to the orchestra play the 1812 Overture. Let me feel the pampering of Your love today and the warm glow of Your love, provision and care. I rest my burdens upon Your back. You are my God.

8:50 PM Addendum: Jesus, I think that you are teaching me about maturity. About walking with You quietly. Trusting You. Amen.

Oh, yesterday I heard the song twice, "Take it to the Limit," by the Eagles, and I thought that that is how I want my faith to be, to the limit. Like a driver that is racing around a corner, and he can only go so fast - balancing the centrifugal force with the force of gravity (okay physics people, are there any other forces that need to be balanced? I think also the forward motion force too). Some people go around corners softly and quietly, slowly and with boredom. Others can behave recklessly, fall over, leave the arena, never to ride again. I want to take it to the limit, while still maintaining control. "That only I may finish my race," Paul spoke of more than once, about his mission to complete that Jesus gave him to do. Jesus Himself said that His food was to do the will of the Father and to complete the work that is given Him to do. So what if I feel bruised and wounded sometimes. I'd rather go as fast as I can towards the will of God, stumbling as I do, than to do less that give all I know how to give unto God's will for my life. Who cares if there is a little pain, a little so-called embarrassment, more abasing myself against the things of this world?

That reminds me of another song that I heard yesterday. The song was about a man who was a Christian and was questioning God about the probem with his son and the lyric said something like, "it isn't just anyone, that is my son." And I know what the writer means, but on the other hand, what difference is it to God that the song was talking about that guy's son? I mean, if he wasn't the father, then there is another father out there who is hurt, isn't there? I mean, from God's point of view, aren't all people important? The only difference is, when it is our son with the crisis, then we are personally hurting whereas otherwise we don't care. So, really, the point isn't, according to the song, that there is a person in a crisis that needs help, but rather, I am in pain, because I am personally invested in the person who is in crisis. From God's viewpoint doesn't He care about all people? But we only care about some people, and specifically those people who, because we have developed a relationship with them, we experience personal pain if that relationship is altered due the fact that one of the people in the relationship is hurting, in a crisis, or whatever. I am not saying that we shouldn't care about certain people. God has called us to specifically care for and carry the burdens with certain specific people, and we don't have the emotional energy to care deeply about all people, or do we? What do you think of the lyric that says, "that is no ordinary person, that is my son?"

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 7:23 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Corry said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

God's Grace.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

God feels the same way about each and everyone of us! Think of how you love each of your children without taking anything from the other! And none of us are ordinary to God!!!

I'm still praying!

Have you dropped into this Bible study yet?

http://cybergroup.epiccommunity.com/

10:03 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

You are in my prayers. Bonnie is so right on again!!!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Andrea I find God will lead us in and through all our relationships if we allow Him. Reading your post reminded me of Jesus as He prayed for the disciples. He acknowledged that God had given each one to Him. Jesus had a great desire for Israel but they were not His. Those that God did give Him He cared for and kept them all according to the will of the Father. I know that Jesus lived an example for us so I’m confident in saying I believe we are to do the same. While we may have a desire to care for the whole world God will give us those that He wants us to care for and will furnish us in all ways to do so. As for the rest, He’s made provisions for even the lilies. ;-)
May God bless your heart.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home