Friday, February 24, 2006


I am really glad that God answered my prayer and let me be a doctor and then made me a psychiatrist who gets to work at a psychiatric hospital. This was a bit of my work day yesterday.

I started late because I needed extra sleep since I was going to be on call by telephone that night, so I slept in, a rare treat. Then I went to the club to exercise and shower. During the spin class I got paged twice, so I called in while the music was blaring and the instructor was shouting, "faster."

"D unit, this is Angela."

"Hi Angela. This is Dr. Blaaaa. I'm in a spin class right now. Sorry it is loud."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but your new patient, the frequesnt flyer, she just left here a couple weeks ago - Jane Doe, is out of control. She came in about 4 in the morning and is really stirring up the place."

"Is she psychotic?"

"I can bearly hear you."

"Is she psychotic, or just yelling and causing a fuss?"

"She is arguing with the other patients in a loud manner."

"Does she have an allergy or problem with Ativan?"

"No allergies."

"Give her Ativan 2 mg po q 4 hours prn anxiety."

"Okay, thank you Dr. Blaaaaa."

Getting dressed was interputed by a series of phone calls. Sometimes it feels like everyone wants a piece of you. Well. That's enough for now. That was the first hour. Time to go. Love ya.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 7:22 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

You are a rare and special individual Andrea. ;-)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Ileana said...

You do it all, don't you? What an inspiration! You and Paula and Dana. I am so blessed to have found you all.

Have a wonderful weekend!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Dropped by to say you have an amazing blog here, and I lov elove love your profile! Your love for God is evident! :)

As far as Ativan----who has allergies to that? Isn't that the most tame anti-anxiety drug out there? Xanax, I can definitely see having allergies too, or bad reactions---but Ativan's pretty tame.

Sounds like your job is quite demanding. My psychiatrist has a personality of a rock. Wish I had someone like you to talk to and who is a believer. It makes it a little better when they're another believer. Yet, I know, they can't discuss their religion. I've been trying to find a doctor with Christian beliefs to help, but it's very hard to find that these days since it's practically a holy war now.

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~deb: you need more than a doctor with Christian beliefs. what is your definition of Christian?

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home