Sunday, February 26, 2006

Spiritual Lust


Today Oswald Chambers spoke to me. He is amazing. BTW, it kinda freaks me out that he has had such a wide and powerful impact after his death, and during his life he wasn't that remarkable, in terms of his ministry. When he died and went to heaven, how freaked out was he that presidents and powerful people were influenced by God in specific ways when all Oz knew was that he was teaching a few kids at the YMCA while his faithful and supportive wife listened respectfully and took notes. Then he gets to heaven and sees how the Middle East was won for Christ as George W. Bush read his text and was encouraged with words such as "We are not sent to do battle for God, but to be used by God in His battles (Jan 18 entry)." (hypothetical example - no political spam please!)

So anyway, today my friend Ozzie told me this: "Spiritual lust causes me to demand an answer from God, instead of seeking God Himself...."

Man, do I ever need to be more humble. To walk humbly and quietly before my God. To realize He is working on my behalf, in ways I can not see. Who am I to presume an answer to my silly demands from the God of the universe? No wonder the angels look down in horror at human's arrogance and question the remarkable nature of God's grace. Who is this who forgives sins and exalts sinners to be above sinless angels? Oh my God and my King, bestow upon me a quiet and contrite spirit that trembles at Your word. My God and my King, teach me to obey in quietness and humility and exalt Yourself on my behalf! Oh the boasts of an unrighteous sinner! Oh the wonder of our God to hear and answer! Let's do it! Let's make great history! How You work through THIS sinner when I am not looking, when I am not aware, when I am sleeping, when I am nothing but afraid. Oh the greatness and wonder of our God! Surprise me mightily when I walk through those gates for what my Lord has done through this sinner's boastful life. "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord."

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 9:50 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Thanks Andrea for this wonderful insight. Yes I boast in the Lord. I boast in my weeknesses, cos His strength can be displayed in my weeknesses.

9:05 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Thank you so much for the reminder, Andrea.

"To walk humbly and quietly with our Lord..."

11:49 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

Great post, Doc.
It's so true that God wants us to desire HIM more than we desire the answers to our prayers.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Ileana said...

Andrea, I finally know you're name! :) This post really got me thinking. We seem to think God will help us in OUR battles when everything is HIS and done for HIM. Excellent reminder.

BTW, I have pink eye so I'm HOME ALONE for once.

7:27 AM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Kitty: I know that you boast in the Lord. That's what I love about you!
Audrey: It's always a challenge, isn't it? For me it is, to walk humbly and quietly before our God in this world.
Seeker: I appreciate your dedication to God.
Maria: Yes! My name is Andrea! Pink eye? Ouch! Thank you for the reminder that God owns everything, so therefore, they are His battles. I love your faith!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home