Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What's holding you back?


I'm diving in! There isn't anything worth inhibiting my walk with Jesus over. But sometimes I think to myself, what if I was really able to be a "full-time Christian?" What if I had the time and the means to spend all of my work time being a Bible Teacher, an author, a speaker, would I do it or would I politely say, "thanks, but no thanks?"

I've been writing books for years now. I have two half written books that are gathering dust along with the dreams that initiated them. Recently I told my mom about some book idea or something and she wanted some clarification. With disappointment in her voice she said, "Oh, but that is for a Christian project, right?" She would have been more pleased if I would have told her "I found a great new way to make a lot of money," or "They accepted me for their older women's playboy layout" (ha).

I realized she was disappointed with any hopes centered on anything off-center from the lusts of this world.

Today I was listening with my kids to an audio book. The young girl exclaimed, "I don't think anyone would want to marry me except maybe a foreign missionary." Like that is the total, full-on bottom-of-the-barrel.

So, my dream would be as I described above. Even if my mom would be disappointed. I hope my children go into the "professional" ministries, even if they miss out on the so-called pleasures of this world. The way I see it, He is where my treasures ought to be because only Christ is worthy. Only the things of the Spirit satisfy. Only the things of God will endure forever. As far me, I want to follow hard after God. What about you?

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 5:40 PM

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

when we do something for God, it's all worth it. God sees and God rewards. He knows our hearts and our desire to glorify Him.

blessings to you, sis. =)

7:13 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

You are such a motivational and inspirational blogger. I love coming here. You're kind of the Joel Olsteen of cyber space.

I just want to bring Christ into the lives of others, the way He was brought into mine many years ago.

Thank you, again, for your post.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

I sure try to in everything. Like Pia said, doing something for Him is all worth it!

God bless you.

God's Grace.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Dear Andrea, I also desire to follow hard after God, glorify Him, please Him, honour Him, and serve Him in all that I do.

I would like to make one point though: even though I am in so called 'professional / full time' ministries...I think everyone can serve God where they are, be in the overseas mission setting, the marketplace...hospital...school....business....or even at home. There is no difference, as God calls us in diffferent places to minister, and life is holistic, whatever we do, we can follow hard after God. Does that make sense?

6:58 AM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Pia,Your example is a blessing to me.
Corry,You are such a dear and sensitive person. As for me, I try to follow hard after God and I know that you do too. Yet also, only in my weakness and lack do I find His sufficiency & sometimes I have nothing to give & that is okay..
Kathi, I LOVE your grand "visions" & pray you are a prophet!
Kitty, I totally understand & agree & am glad you made that important clarification. I thought about making it but didn't.

I'm so encouraged you all visited especially since I haven't returned the favor as much as I would like.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

I understand your feelings. When I was in college, I had a calling from God to be a speech pathologist. However I got a degree in theology just in case. I thought the people who worked in the church were just great. I wanted to do it so bad. But here I am 26 years later a speech path. And that is where I should be. God is using me just the way I am. We need Christians in every profession-doing it for the glory of God.

I hope you get your wish. But remember that your children need to follow God's calling for their life.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home