Saturday, May 13, 2006

I was asked today, "Do you bird?" I didn't know what she meant, but I knew enough to know that that probably meant that I don't, uhh, "bird"


The day is nearing the end. Almost time to "hit the hay," as it is going to be a longer and bigger day tomorrow.

Today, my daughter and I awoke at about 7 AM (after getting to bed after midnight last night into Minot, ND). This AM was a shower-pack-and-go. Along the way we cracked open the new tape series from "The Great Courses," from "The Teaching Company." Great - love it. The course we are listening to is called, "The Joy of Science" and the college course covers all the highlights of science over the past 500 years, through the great discoveries, etc. Along the way the listener gets taught all the basics that are taught from K - 12th grade. Just a perfect review before my daughter takes her SATs when we get back to CA in early June.

We drove to a bird wildlife refuge called Audobon, I think. There are over 230 different species of birds there. The sounds were amazing. Any blind person would find a few hours there like a sighted person would take in the Grand Canyon. Bird calls after bird calls. My daughter took a drawing class and being the beautiful artist that she is, drew a bird that I will frame and put on my wall when we get home. I know just where to put it.

While at the Audobon Wildlife Refuge, we went on a little one mile nature walk. We saw running animals that my daughter said were deer, but I'm not sure, lots of big birds fly out of the praire grasses, road runner type birds, little birds, colorful birds and holes for digging animals of various sizes. It was truely amazing.

I don't think that there is one non-white person living in North Dakota. The people here are left-over, or should I say descendants from the Scandinavian people who migrated here in the late 1800's, along with some Germans and other Northern Europeans. No one else, I think, has made it to the area since.

That background is interesting to me, since that is my background, biologically speaking. I was adopted from Minnesota, my birth parents being from small towns in Minnesota. My parents who raised me are immigrants from Italy - my mother having been born there and my father's father was born there. Both parents' families are from the same remote mountainous village, deep in the heart of Italy. I never "acted" like them, and that has been hard for me. So, when I go to Minnesota - perhaps especially North Dakota, because of the overwhelming majority of people are of the same ethnic background of myself, I feel a drawing. A drawing which I feel ashamed of at some level, because my mind and culture tell me that I ought not to regard my biological heritage with such a great weight - but my inclinations shout in my heart and ears anyway.

God bless you! God is blessing us. Thank you Father. Your goodness and generousity amazes me. I am not worthy, but I accept your gifts with nothing to give you in return, except a "thanks" and a prayer and a cooresponding yeilding to make me like You. Continue to grant us safety and sweet fellowship. Also, bless the ones back home with such a fun that they are almost glad that we are not there, so they don't feel jealous or left-out, but even feel that we are the one's who are left-out from their special time. Be with my husband as he has more to get done this week. Grant him peace and a willing heart. Bless church tomorrow, big time and may there be no obsticles to getting there are hearing YOUR WORD!!!

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 6:07 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Corry said...

A little bird (grin) just told me you seem to have a wonderful trip! I am grateful you are enjoying it. I would love to see the drawing your daughter made.

Have a blessed Mother's Day, Andrea! And much more joy to come.

God's Grace.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Have a safe trip, may it be a time of bonding between you and your daughter, a time she will look back upon and smile with a grateful heart to have a mother like you. Happy Mom's Day!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY MOM'S DAY, ANDREA.

God bless you and your family as always. luv yah, sis!

11:39 PM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Ryan, Corry, Dana and Pia: Thanks for visiting! The trip is blessed!! May God continue still more! And God also bless you all in your lives. We need Him.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home