Tuesday, November 28, 2006

"How Long, Oh Lord, How Long?"


Have you ever read that psalm that says that? "How Long, Oh Lord, How Long?" It is from Psalm 6. I turned to it this morning.

When I read it this morning, it comforted me as it reminded me of a previous difficult trial. My husband did not know the Lord, and for many years I was really desperate that he should know and follow God and I used to cry out to the Lord and read and cry over this psalm.

I needed my husband to know the Lord, because I wanted to trust him that he would take cake of me properly. I wanted to trust him to be my provider. I figured that if he knew God and served Him, then I could trust him to take care of me.

Oh, how I do want to be taken care of in a dependable and reliable fashion! But only God is dependable and faithful. I need to trust in His unfailing love. Only God is perfect. It is idolatry to look to a human to meet all of my core needs. Only God can do that.

When David was being chased and pursued by enemies for no fault of his own (First Samuel), he strengthened himself in the Lord.

There is reality and there is life that we think is real. The reality is that God is for me and He is transforming me into the image of His Son. The reality is that every single thing in my life is going to turn out together to be for my good and will be used by a sovereign God to help me. The reality is that the more I am separated from the things of this world, the more I am sanctified, the less I am affected by circumstances, the less likely I am to be tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine and the craftiness of men. The reality is that God is for me, so who can be against me? The reality is that this battle is not mine but is the Lord's. The reality is that it is a privilege to suffer for Him, and to this I was called. The reality is that it is right that I should suffer for such a kingdom, to find myself worthy of it (II Thessalonians). The reality is that His grace and will are sufficient for me and that power is perfected in my weakness. The truth is that when I am weak and flat on my back, Christ Himself can live in me and do more through me that when I get in the way. The reality is that this world is going to hell in a hand basket and the more I am separated from this world, the less pain that I will have later, when I have to lose the things anyway. The reality is that at the judgment seat of Christ when our deeds are proved, there will be the suffering of loss for the wood, hay and stubble that burns in the fire, and the less that I have of wood, hay and stubble to burn, the better. The truth is that God is pleased with me when I endure. The truth is that God is proving me to prove my faith strong and right, not to disprove me. The reality is that I am being sanctified, made holy, being set apart for God's personal use. The reality is that I am in Christ, seated in Christ, far above all principalities and powers. The reality is that I am His child.

My problems abound today and the reminders of the problems hit me like small bits of cold and frozen ice pellets on my face as I walk through the burning cold Minnesota weather, the wind piercing and mocking me. (I don't live there anymore, but I remember!)

Would you pray for me, that God would bring this trial to a close and that my husband and I would be found faithful in it? That we would make God proud of us because we endured and graduated from this trial? Also, my brother-in-law's wife just walked out on him and he is devastated. Pray that he would turn to the Lord during this time and be born-again. Thanks, I feel like we could really use your prayers!

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 8:41 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Nunzia said...

i know how hard it is to love someone who does not know God. I've been praying for years for my family's salvation. What you need to remember is that it's not up to YOU to carry this out-- it is all on God and He is capable... Trust in Him. I will keep you in prayer!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I will be praying for you and for your family.
God is faithful.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

girl you are awesome at speaking HIS truth back to yourself! If only more could learn to do so...if only more had dear Christian brothers and sisters to sepak it to them when they falter..
Stand on what you know to be truth...the solid bedrock of your experience with HIm...I will pray for you and yoru husband to be found worthy to have suffered for His names sake.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home