Saturday, October 29, 2005

in the spin cycle


Well, I'm not really in the spin cycle, per say, as in washing machine or in bad situation spinning out of control. I am taking a spin class right now though - a bike class at a health club. The room is dark and there is loud dance-like music and let's see -ten participants and an instructor.

I sure do like to eat. Not that I'm there yet at all, but I had to "learn," or maybe a better term would be, to be released from, where my body's yearnings told ME what to do. "I WANT CAKE" "I WANT TO BE FILLED" "I MIGHT GET HUNGRY LATER IF I DON'T EAT NOW." The body dictates in other ways too, like "I DON'T FEEL LIKE EXERCISING" "I DON'T THINK IT IS SAFE IF MY HEART BEAT GETS UP THAT HIGH" "I JUST DON'T ENJOY EXERCISE."

Paul said that "I buffet my body and make it my slave." Who's in charge here anyway? Did you know that our body doesn't exist forever? Do you know that it wants to think it has control - like a toddler that runs the parent around its infantile cravings.

For me it was a spiritual battle to separate my body from my mind and put my mind in charge of what I allowed my body to do. This is why I think people can't overcome some addictions. Their body, or sin housed in their body, has gotten a hold and won't let go without a fight.

Isaiah 61 has been a real joy this week for me to read. Verses 1 & 3 are something like this:

"The Spirit of the LORD God is upon me because He has annointed me to proclaim good tidings to the meek, to (forgot a few words here), to proclaim liberty to the captives and to open the prison to those that were bound....I have appointed those who mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, oil of joy for a spirit of heaviness and a garment of praise for mourning, that they may be called trees of righteouness, a planting of the Lord that He may be glorified." Jesus said, "in this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit." Jesus died to set us free. Eat and drink of Him and never thirst again. Enter in. Taste and see He is good.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 8:02 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

What a wonderful post.I can so identify with you there. I like to eat but don't like to exercise hehe. Thanks for the reminder of Isaiah 61, and I'd love to 'eat and drink' of the Lord every single day, and taste and see He is good. And yes He is good ALL THE TIME! Amen!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's really hard to fight the spiritual battle to separate our body and our mind. normally, our body wins. but we have to pray about it and have faith that with God's grace, we are able to do what is right. this post is beautiful. God bless.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home