Monday, October 24, 2005

Matt


Well, for the first time in, well, probably months,I am actally typing this on a real computer. I am at a hotel in Minnesota, having gone to a most unusual and sad (I suppose that they all are, however) funeral. I am glad that I had the opportunity to hop on a plane and be here. It was nice to be a part of it. Maybe more on that another time.

For now, I want to talk about Matt. My husband and I began thinking about adopting an older child in July. (Oh, aren't these changes in font and color fun?) We want to adopt a child named Brent, but his case is on hold, and is not currently available. I noticed Matt on the web site just a few weeks ago - or now I suppose it was a bit longer back. Anyway, I got more information on him and his story and relayed it to the hubby and kids.

My youngest daughter's comments were so adoring. "He likes pets. We could get him a pet. He could help with the dogs." She had many wonderful comments, her nuturing qualities, that have been dripping off her since a babe, flowing with delight. What was especially noteworthy, were her several suggestions that we, as parents and family, do for Matt, that I in fact was wanting to do, but wondering how to "break it" to her, hoping she wouldn't take it as a slight to her.

My little son was just precious. He examined the paper with Matt's picture and story with intensity. He stated, "So far I like this Matt," and after reading a bit more said, "I say yes!" He was equally as accepting to Matt and helpful with appropriate suggestions.

My husband continues to surprise me with his open heart and energy for such a child. All, that is each and every, extended family member that is aware of our undertaking is way supportive.

When I spoke with the adoption place, the first time and then again today, regarding our adopting Matt, they seem pleased and hopeful with the idea of Matt coming into our home. They having chosen a family for Matt yet, and are waiting for our home study report to be completed in November. They referred to us as "a viable family."

My, My, how do I feel? Well, I don't want to get a "thrilled" feeling until this actually, like happens. But even then, I think it will be wise to just, like go with the punches. It's going to be hard. I think the rewards will come in time, not all at one time. Yeah, it is a big present. But one with "some assembly needed," as it is for all kids, biological ones and those adopted.

This would be the reward for me (as far as in this present world is concerned): Matt learning love, not in a flash, not in an hour and not in a day, but one day, when an older man, as he watches me nurture and tenderly care for his child, he looks from across the room, and understands a love and a commitment, a tenderness and a vow, a covenant and a seal of love, that grew up over a long period of time. And that he would know healing, a degree of healing. I guess that's what is in it for me.

But really, as you know, or maybe can guess, I am doing this because I think God is specifically calling me to this very act. If I didn't do it, I would feel that I were sinning because I think this is what He is calling me to do at this time.

Joyce Meyers said, "If you want God to use you, don't be picky how he does it," or something to that extent. I'll keep you posted.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 6:04 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

This post is such a blessing to me. Thank you for sharing.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

yes these changes in colour and fonts are really fun, and nice for the eyes too :-) thanks so much for your sharing, it's such an inspiration.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

You know I was thinking how amazing it is to meet someone on the internet who has a heart for children. Most of the people we have met told us they don't have the room, the resources, etc.

I do believe it is a God thing to want to take a child in that is not your flesh and blood. God specifically reaches down and puts that in our hearts. It isn't something just anyone would do.

I am so excited for your family, I know what blessings we have received by taking in children. Although they don't usually show alot of appreciation, but mostly expectation, that is when we realize they really do feel like they belong to us.

My prayers are with you. I am so encouraged when I read your willingness to do this. I know God has His hand on you and has appointed your family for such a time as this. These boys need you, God has shown you that. I have heard many excuses about not having resources, room, etc, when in actuality all you need is love. The kids I know would sleep on a couch if someone wanted them.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home