Tuesday, January 24, 2006

In season and out of season


I remember walking past the rose bushes at the hospital where I work when they were in full bloom - earlier this year. Because of the building blocking the sun’s rays, their exposure was not directly above them, but was off to one side, so as they grew, the branches seemed to stretch themselves to that side where they could get the better sun that they liked.

The rose garden of 20 bushes was in full bloom and as they were all stretching forth they looked like worshippers reaching forth and bearing good fruit. Red and pink and yellow and white roses smiled up to their Creator. Their branches were aiming and reaching as the bushes learned to grow up in a shape and direction towards that light.

Earlier this year after viewing those roses, I remember praying with a dear friend of mine, that I miss so much. I was praying with her and while I prayed I was thinking of those rose bushes. I prayed with my friend about how I wanted us to be like those roses before the Lord, stretched out and reaching for Him and His great light and bearing good fruit.

Today as I walked by the rose bushes, there was no bright sun of spring or summer. There was no bloom. There was no stretch. There weren’t even branches. Just little stubs all around. The bushes were hibernating. The vinedresser pruned all of the bushes all of the way back. And there they remained quiet and close to the ground. Quite humble and not proud.

Those little stubs of trees seemed content in a way. They knew it isn’t their time to strive, or push forth or sing with the delight of their beauty. It is not the right conditions for that. The light is not right. The temperature is not right. The season is all wrong for that. It was their time to rest and be patient. And so they did.

It is my time to rest and be patient. To not strive. To not try to make something happen. To just sit there and remember that I am a bush that produces pretty red flowers all around, even when none are out. I can remember the pretty flowers that I had in the spring and the summer. I know that I have been pruned way back because the Vinedresser loves me and cares for me dearly, and next year I will bear more fruit.

Yes, the sun will come out again and will stay out longer each passing day. The temperature will climb. The season will change. My branches will stretch forth for the Son’s light. The very structure of my branches will show for Whom I desire and yearn for and strive for. The flowers will come and will be more beautiful than before. They will reflect my Father’s glory.

And He will be pleased with me. Not for what I did, but for who I became. Not for who I became, but for who I am. Because who I am a Christian. His Christian. I am in Him and He is in me. I am a person who is identified by being a part of the True Vine. One who bears much fruit. Who just is there and is beautiful in His sight. Not in body as though the body itself was great. But one who is uniquely and specifically prepared by the King to be more beautiful this year than last. More content. More aware of her existence in and dependence upon Christ. One more becoming of the Lord’s pleasure.

Dear Jesus,
I want to be like You. But You know that I’m not, and that I can’t be. Well, not in and of myself. For in and of myself, I can do nothing.

Lord, these past 8 or 9 days have been really hard on me. It is like the ushering in of a new season. The cold, the wind and the rain. Suddenly I look at myself and I see the stubs like those rose bushes. But I have a peace and contentment. It is like, perhaps maybe, I am learning how not to think and plan so much anymore. Lord, You know how my mind has been spinning for so many years. It has slowed through your training, and now my mind is slowing, slowing, slowing more. I don’t need to plan all of the time. I can trust You, after all. I am sorry for my sins that continue on a daily basis. Forgive me and see my condition, and grant me mercy and favor in this day and in this season. I know who I am. I don’t need a bunch of flowers hanging off of me to know what You have created IN me. I need to hunker down and just stay connected to the vine. You’ll bear fruit of me naturally. In Your timing and in Your ways. Help me to remain steadfast and patient and content in the Vine.

posted by An Ordinary Christian | 6:17 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

That is a good lesson to have learned. It is one to be embraced and remembered in times of trial.

You do not have a testamony until you've had a test!

The Lord prunes us to create even better fruit during the growing season!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Andrea, I also find it hard not to think and plan so much anymore. It's hard not to try to make things happen isn't it? Yet our Lord is the Vine, and we are His branches...and the branches don't have to do anything to produce fruit, they just have to abide in the Vine.

Blessings on you!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Andrea, the following is the response to your questions / comments on my blog:

yes I can write in Chinese. So what are some of the things that you want to do that are creative?

I believe talking to people or interviewing them can be a creative venture. If the questions (discussions) are well thought out, you can develop lots of opportunities to create deep friendship or relationship. I think creativity can help us build up relationships (through creative, loving and caring deeds, surprises, breaking of routine and meaningful conversation etc). I hope I can learn to do that well.

So what are your ideas about talking to people as a creative venture?

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apart from God we're nothing. it may not be the right time for you but that time will surely come. i know it's hard to wait and just be patient but God knows our hurts and frustrations, even our desires. God will come through for you, I know He will. God bless you, sis. know that i'm here for you always.

9:09 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Yes, Jesus loves you very much Andrea :)
I'm always here for you too.
Please take care.
You're in my thoughts and prayers.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home